Saturday, July 16, 2011

YOGA AND SPIRITUAL ... JEWELRY ?

I recently wanted to reward myself with a "little something" for a job well done. And so, you might ask: What does a yoga teacher buy herself as a gift? Well, spiritual jewelry, of course!
 
The Chopard diamond-encrusted OM pendant was out (WAY too blingy). But the red thread Me&Ro bracelet I found, with the tiny silver slider inscribed with “metta” (lovingkindness) fit the bill nicely. Ah yes, a constant reminder to be kind, gentle, compassionate. The perfect spiritual piece of jewelry.
 
Until, that is, I happened to be in a meeting with a gentleman who is not "into yoga." He noticed my metta bracelet and asked what it was. When I explained, he asked, “How much did you pay for that?” “$90." He laughed and exclaimed, "So you bought a piece of thread with a tiny silver button and a tiny silver doo-dad on it, for $90 bucks?”
 
That gave me pause. Spiritual jewelry. Hmmm.
 
I learned something valuable from that exchange: that sometimes, even I, a yoga teacher supposedly inured to such silliness, can fall prey to the marketing of spirituality.
 
I don't need a wildly overpriced bracelet to remind me to be spiritual. There are myriad opportunities for bringing spirituality into daily life: being a good listener; offering a free yoga class; cultivating gratitude; getting involved in social action for a better world.
 
No, I don't need a bracelet to remind me to do these things. I do them gladly.
 
But this little lesson did teach me one thing: to keep things in perspective. And to recognize that spirituality doesn't hinge on a little red string. It resides, quietly and patiently, in our hearts. And we can tap into it anywhere, anytime, for free. No strings attached.

2 comments:

  1. Funny--looks like we've both had jewelry on our minds lately! (I blogged about it last week!) Thanks for the beautiful message, Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kathy! And yes, brilliant bejeweled minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete